Recipes and Tips for making Pie.
Boston Cream Pie
A Boston cream pie is a round cake that is split and filled with a custard or cream filling and frosted with chocolate. Created by Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian at Boston's Parker House Hotel in 1856, this pudding and cake combination comprises two layers of sponge cake filled with vanilla custard or crème pâtissière. The cake is topped with a chocolate glaze (such as ganache) and sometimes powdered sugar or a cherry.
The Boston cream pie is the official dessert of Massachusetts, declared as such in 1996. However, it is not mass produced in Boston.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup light cream
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup light cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans. Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In a deep bowl cream 6 tablespoons of the butter with ¾ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the 2 eggs, one at a time, then beat in the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture alternately with the ½ cup of the milk in 3 additions, Beating the batter smooth after each addition. Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until cakes begin to shrink away from the sides of the pans and centers spring back when lightly touched. Turn the cakes onto wire racks to cool.
- To Make The Filling: Combine the ½ cup light cream with ¼ cup of the milk and cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan. Immediately add ¼ cup of the sugar and the salt, stirring until dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup of the milk with the cornstarch and whisk to remove lumps. Whisk in the 2 eggs. Add the hot cream mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Return to the mixture to the saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and is smooth (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the ½ teaspoon vanilla and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To Make The Chocolate Frosting: In a heavy saucepan over low heat, stir the chocolate pieces and 2 tablespoons butter until they are completely melted. Remove from the heat and, stirring constantly, add the ¼ cup light cream in a thin steady stream. When mixture is smooth, stir in the confectioners' sugar and beat vigorously. Stir in the ½ teaspoon vanilla.
- To Assemble Cake: Spread the cooled filling over one the cooled cakes and place the second cake on top. Pour the chocolate frosting evenly over the top allowing it to spill down the sides.
- Crab Dip-Learn how to make mesmerizing crab dips from the comfort of your own home using these tools and methods you will be shown in simple step by step format.
- Cream Sauce-A French word that means a relish to make our food more appetizing. Sauces are liquid or semi-liquid foods devised to make other foods look, smell, and taste better, and hence be more easily digested and more beneficial. This website presents a variety of cream sauce recipes embellished with background information.
- Crockpots Cooking-Do you have a crockpot? Now you can make full use of it. This website teaches you from the basics right up to the advances and presents some amazing crockpot recipes.
- Lobstertails Cooking-Just how do you do those lobster tails? Whether they are fresh and frozen, this website shows you how, where and when. Log on to lobstertailscooking.com lobster tails inspirations.
- Minestrone Soup-Just how exactly do you make that minestrone soup? And how do you make the best minestrone soup ever? From the vegetable broth to the chicken stock, and much much more, this website takes you there.
- Peach Cobbler-In the land of its origin-China, peach is thought to have mystical attributes bringing with it good luck, abundance and protection. Cobbler recipes have been printed in cookbooks since the 19th century. Now, our expert chef and writer teaches you step by step with amazing recipes and directions to how make the great peach cobbler. Have fun!
- Pinto Beans-Just what do you know about pinto beans as a culinary ingredient? Nothing compared to what you will know after you read this website. Pinto-Beans.com is designed from the ground up to cover everything from nutritional aspects to a variety of recipes.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake-The ultimate pumpkin cheesecake websites brings you more recipes than you can use and a variety of thoroughly researched and richly presently supplementary information. You'll never have to look elsewhere for pumpkin cheesecake cooking help again, thanks to this great website.
- Quinoa Salads-It's time to get the scoop on quinoa salads. Here you are presented with nutritional information, preparation, background and a variety of recipes on quinoa and quinoa salads.
- Recipe For A Salad-Here we present you with the widest variety of the best salad recipes of all times. Each recipe is carefully tested and reviewed and handpicked by our editors. If you need to make salad, you've come to right place.
- Recipe For A Soup-Soup is a food that is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water or another liquid. Here you'll find the best soup recipes of all time, with simple step by step instructions suitable for everyone from beginner to expert. If you like soup, or just need to cook it, visit this website today.
- Recipe For Cake-If you like baking, or cakes, or both, this is the website for you. Here you'll find all the cake recipes you've ever dreamed existed, with simple step by step instructions that even a child can follow. Whatever kind of cake you want to make, you'll find it here, and much more.
Recipe For Pie-The first pies were made thousands of years ago, during the New Stone Age. Whatever type of pie you're looking for, you'll find it in this handpicked selection of the greatest pie recipes available anywhere.
- Recipe For Rice-Start using rice in innovative ways you've never thought of before. With these rice recipes, you'll never go hungry. You're presented with a wide variety of specially selected recipes presented in simple instructional and illustrated language that even a child could follow.
- Recipe For Sauce-Sauces are an important element in cuisine all over the world. This website brings you the greatest variety of the highest quality sauces from around the world. These recipes were carefully tested and and written in simple by step language complete with illustrations by our expert cooks, chefs and sauciers.
- Recipes That Are Easy-For those of you who are not starting off and want some recipes that don't require a great amount of skills, time or ingredients, we have handpicked a selection of the best easy recipes for any occasion. You're sure to find what you're looking, and more.
- Stuffed Pepper-From fiery stuffed peppers in the Caribbean to mellow stuffed bell peppers in the United States, many people associate stuffed peppers with Mediterranean cuisine. As you may or may not know, stuffed peppers are peppers which have been emptied out and stuffed with a variety of foods before being baked, broiled, grilled, or simmered in a sauce. This website covers the whole range from beginner to advanced.